Friday, June 30, 2006

Kumasi- thanks to Awal




When I was first planning the trip, and pricing the trip, I realized that going to Kumasi might be more than I could afford, financially and geographically. But Awal made it possible. I saw more of Kumasi than I would of, had I taken a bus, navigated myself, and/or followed the guidebook. Thank you my friend!

The journey.

I am not sure how this type of thing happens in my life but it does. I texted Awal on Monday morning and asked if I could get a ride with him, he agreed. I rode in an air-conditioned car (new car at that) instead of a bus. I also got an individualized tour of Accra and its history on the drive. Awal pointed out the numbers on the hillside next to the beach. They stood there in remembrance of the political figures that were gun down in a firing squad during a coup on June 4, 1979. The numbers commemorate the deaths of the officials and serve as a reminder of what they do not want to return to.

After we went around Accra, checking out construction sites, seeing family(I met his mother, father, sister, and brother-his cousin the day before too) and dropping off gifts, we headed out to Kumasi. The drive wasn't bad, a little over three hours (I think, I fell asleep towards the end). I saw the beautiful country-side and every village we came upon had vendors selling their goods (corn, bread, rats-on-a-stick, you know the regular fair). We discussed all the things you would talk about with someone you met on a plane a few days prior-government, religion, politics, relationships, and environment...of course.
This is a picture of the roadside venders selling goods at a road construction stop. We pulled up and they rushed the car with baskets and such on their head. I declined purchasing anything, even the rat-on- a-stick, a local and evidently expensive delicacy.


We made it to Kumasi and I stayed at his house, in his 5 year old son's bed, for the next few days. He lives in a gated community (he called it a compound) with his three staff (nanny, housekeeper, and errand boy) and son. Awal arranged for a driver for me the next day. I was able to try truly traditional Ghanaian dishes (even though Awal doesn't think I eat with my hands well). It was a wonderful and welcoming stay. I am very lucky!

1 Comments:

At 2:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow that was really nice of him....i had no idea it was so modernized there, with the a/c in his new car.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home