Monday, July 15, 2013

Week 22- Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs- Schools-Arts on Main


Playing a clapping/dancing/drumming game

June 3- After my disappointment with the attendance of the presentations at local schools last week and my “processing” with educators and locals about the experience, I took the weekend to try to figure out how I could support schools and educators but also not compromise my integrity while supporting. I was reminded that the issues of South African townships went beyond identifying the need for “training and support” to address the issues the students and teachers encounter everyday.

I often use Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs when teaching. Basically, he said people can only address issues and move towards success if certain things are taken care of first, i.e. the physiological needs like food/water/shelter/breathing. Once your physiological needs are met, then one can worry about safety and security (health, employment, property, and stability within family and social world). Next, love and belonging can be addressed- this includes friendships, family, intimacy, and connection with other beings. If someone feels loved, then they can work on their self-esteem, confidence, achievement, respect, and individuality. Finally, the top of Maslow’s triangle of needs is self-actualization (creativity, experience, meaning, morality, and fulfilling personal potential). 
Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs

Many of the people living in the townships and attending the government schools still don’t have safe and stable housing or enough food to eat. The idea of improving practice when they have much more trying issues on their plate may seem futile, however, educators have shown up to every one of the seminars (although I wish there were higher levels of participation), children are grateful for my presence on campus (as demonstrated from “Hello Dr. Reebs” and the endless hugs I get as I walk around), and the principals have welcomed me into the schools, given me access to their staff, and a space to work. All of these are great accomplishments when teachers are loaded with student struggles, reporting and paperwork on standards, and administrative pressure to increase scores. The story of the township government schools needs to be examined from more than on-time attendance.
            I left the university very tired from all of the energy I found myself giving to education, I remembered that part of being an educator means taking care of ourselves and making sure we are giving our energy to the right places. I heard someone say, if you find your energy drained by something- let it go, the things that matter will fill you up rather than take from you…although the schools were draining, they were also waking something up inside of me. I felt like I needed to get quiet to find out the answer- which meant, I had to be cautious this week when deciding where I focused my energy. As I was leaving, a student came to my office and asked for consultation help. I let her know that I had made myself available for all of the students last month and that now I was helping schools and I couldn’t help. I also asked her if she had spoken to her writing group, she said, “No, but I will go to them, they said they understood the assignment since meeting with you. I was embarrassed to ask them for help because I missed the meeting we all had with you last month.” I agreed that her group should be able to help her. She thanked me for all of the support I had been giving them this year. I felt my shoulders relax with the realization that I had supported the class to the best of my ability and because I held a self-care boundary- I said no (but reminder her of the supports that existed to help her).

June 4- I met my friend Michelle for lunch at the fire station in Rosebank. Evidently, on Tuesdays they have an open kitchen…basically you pay for a box (R50= $5), go inside, fill your box from food on a table, and enjoy an Italian-themed lunch. Not only was it tasty, but it was nice to catch up with my beautiful friend. I left Rosebank and drove to Soweto to present part II of my workshop at a special school located on the hospital grounds.
I arrived, set up, and was ready to present at 2pm- although just to change things up I moved the “front of the presentation” to the side of the room- sometimes just moving where you stand changes the dynamics of the room. By 2:10 almost half of the staff were present. I reviewed some of the information I had presented last week- we talked about student barriers and positive solutions that educators see happening at their school. Then I moved into the activity. I gave them graphic organizers, handouts, and poster paper. I let them know I would walk around the room to help/answer questions, then in 10 minutes I would check in and see if they were ready to present what they had discussed. I broke them into group (people they were sitting by because last week when I asked them to move, a few people moved their way right out of the presentation). The teachers seemed really engaged in the activity from the start. They started working talking/writing/reading and asked on-task questions about what they would present. Even as I meandered around the room, teachers were asking when I could return because they had more questions. I said I am here now, I will answer to the best of my knowledge. At the end of the group work, the presentations and discussion seemed to illicit stimulating conversations about practice. Some of the topics being discussed included: 
·      students' lack of confidence (how to build self-esteem),
·      how to organize information before writing,
·      good editing practices,
·      how to deal with students who take longer to read/finish an assignment,
·      teaching and re-teaching necessary skills, not just repeating activities/assignments
·      incorporating math into every day life (helping students make connections to real life)
·      dealing with kleptomania and overcrowded classrooms using respect instead of punishment (big topic!)
·      how to teach problem solving
·      how to really do group work so that everyone participates and contributes
I then went over different assessments they could use in the classroom for reading, writing, math, and attention issues. We talked about modeling behavior (such as respect).  I had the teachers complete evaluations and many came up to me and thanked me for returning, for my time, and for being a support even though I wasn’t greeted well in the beginning (they acknowledged the lack of participation the week before). 

That night, I went to a Kizomba class with my friend Caz. Kizomba is African Tango from Angola. I had tried it once before and decided to go to the class again. Because I had only attended one other class, I decided to go to the beginner for true beginners and learn the history and basic step. It was fun to get outside of my head for a bit. The lessons are from a group in Johannesburg called BailaAfrika, who gives lessons in Kizomba and Salsa.
June 5- Today I returned to the third school I was working with in Soweto for the final presentation. I had put together a binder with all of the information I had collected for the school including: my report based on the survey, observations, and interviews; a synopsis of the workshops I had given, resources for assessment, organization materials for putting on a college/career expo; assessments for reading, writing, math, and behavior; tools for increasing literacy skills; and a list of 10 daily reflective practices I use as an educator.
            At 2:10pm I started the presentation…two of the teachers were present and seven volunteers from outside programs working with the school. The week before I let them know that I would review the information I had given seminars on and then, if we had time and they collected the information I asked for, I would help them write a grant for their library. I reviewed the information in the binder and answered some questions. I asked if they had gathered the information for the grant, they said they would email it to me tomorrow because it was not complete. I reminded them that I had to write my reports and that I would not have time after today because I still needed to complete work for the Fulbright and University of Johannesburg, but that I was here today and giving them my time and service. They thanked me for showing up and said that if they could implement these strategies and use these resources maybe their school performance would increase. I told them I appreciated being involved with the school and learning more about education issues within the townships. I also said I hoped the resources were helpful and that they could email me and I would respond. We gave hugs and I left.
We asked someone to
take a photo...we
got a video ;)
That evening I met up with Cristines, my Brazilian new best friend who was soon leaving Johannesburg. You have to love friends who know to say “come over and let’s have a glass of wine, you have had a long day.” We shared a pinotage and went to dinner at a place called Koi- laughing with those you love is priceless!

June 6- Downtown is not really a good place to be in Johannesburg, however, there is a few blocks in the Central Business District (CBD) that are safe and fun every Sunday and the first Thursday of the month, it is called “Arts on Main.” Thiago and I decided to go there for dinner. One of my favorite things to do is introduce people to new food…that night Thiago tried oysters and Ethiopian food. We finished it with chocolate brownies (not because I was particularly hungry, rather why not finish with chocolate!?!). They had music in the outside/rooftop area as well.

Arts on Main

June 7- Thiago was going to Brazil on Saturday so we decided to have a goodbye dinner for Cristines that night with Yean (work colleague) and Chris (Cris’ friend/colleague) at a local restaurant in Parkhurst. After waiting for a table for over an hour, we finally were able to sit and order. We talked about Afrikaner history within South Africa, education, mining, and traveling the world.

June 8- After a relaxing Saturday morning, I met up with Cristines to see a movie. We didn’t know anything playing, so we ended up seeing “Side Effects.” It was about a drug for depression having a side effect that made a woman kill her husband…not the most uplifting movie I have ever seen. Later that night we met up with some people from Cristines job who were in town from London for a week of training.   

June 9- Sunday morning I woke up feeling like I wanted to do something fun. Seeing it was Sunday I called Caz to see if she wanted to go to Arts on Main for some food, wine, and dancing (Kizomba, salsa, mixed with house music). We spent the afternoon there. Her friend, Walter, was also hanging out that afternoon with his rugby-playing friend and a Canadian girl from a hostel.  


          That evening I read another book that was recommended by a guy on the radio called, Some of My Best Friends Are White: Subversive Thoughts from a Zulu Warrior by Ndumiso Ngcobo. This book, in addition to be hilarious and witty, is basically short essays about issues in South Africa. Some of the chapter names are:  Eish, I ain’t got it, Joe! (having friends who never seem to have $), Crazy-Ass White People, Have You Hugged a Zulu Today (the role of violence in Zulu society), Taxi Commuting: An Experience from Hell (rules about riding in a combi/mini-bus). Mr. Ngcobo does a phenomenal job telling the stories from his perspective. Very funny, worth reading! Although google will give you a preview of the first few chapters, this one is definitely worth buying and reading (even with my kindle I have been carting it around). 


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home