Saturday, July 01, 2006

Black Stars and Bronis

Black Stars in the World CupSince I have arrived here I have seen a country backing a team, in fact according to the callers on the radio, I have seen a continent backing a team. As one person reported, they sent flags and prayers to the black stars. The Ghanaian are extremely religious people, a country that may compare in publication of faith, is the Philippines. I watched the first half of the game at Awal's while we had lunch then we went to the military officers’ mess and watched the second half. I drank a Star beer in support :). But they lost, everyone repeated off sides over and over again, so I assume that was a problem. It was too much for me to get it explained. The referee also seemed to be picking on the team. Did you know he sent the coach to the locker room for the second half? That doesn't seem right. Anyway, the country, maybe continent, was upset by the loss but they all agreed the boys played well (besides not shooting accurately). After the game, I watched Awal and his friend K.O. play squash. Okay, I sat in the stands and read/texted while they played. I haven't changed that much. So, that brings us to the rotary meeting.
Kumasi Rotary Meeting Now you may ask your self how did she come upon a Rotary meeting in Africa and why did she go? Well, I am happy to report that Awal is a member, in fact he is a past president (that is how they referred to him). I sat in as a guest, ate the food and even joined into a few lines of "for he's a jolly good fellow", when a new member was initiated in... right. They ended the initiation with a few lines from "Desiderata", one of my favorite poems.
BroniBroni comes from the word abro meaning horizon which was changed to abrochi to describe something from beyond the horizon. People keep yelling "broni" to me. It means white person. So, there you go. Here is a picture of an Ashanti and a Broni.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home