Saturday, July 01, 2006

Travel day to Elmina

I traveled to Elmina on Wednesday. But before I got to the bus station, Awal had planned a trip to Lake Bosumtwi. It is a very large lake in the middle of Ashanti country. On the way back, we stopped at the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology in Kumasi. Awal has actually done some of the repairs and restoration of buildings there. I was able to see them. I had my last meal before we left, it was a red soup with fufuo. It was hot to the touch, but tasted delicious.

At the bus station, I met a Mali man named Addat. He was selling paintings and beads. He has gone to school in Mali for arts and was living here trying to sell his paintings. I was reading a funeral book that Awal had given me about a woman named Peggy Appiah. She had been an important person in Awal and his son's life. I know many of you have read at least one of her books, Ananse the Spider. Well, Addat recognized her picture and came over and told me about her. After hearing his story and reading the funeral book, I soon realized what an amazing life she led. She was a traveler, a teacher, a caregiver, and a support for many people of Ghana and beyond. Anyway, I bought a painting from Addat and he gave me the necklace he was wearing. He also waited with me until my bus left. Another lucky chance meeting.

I finally arrived in Elmina and to my room at the Java Museum. I ate some dinner and planned the next few days of my trip. The reason I am here. Assin Manso and the dungeons.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home